Thursday, July 10, 2008

A family reunion...

This may turn into a really long story, but a good one at that. I hope you'll read on...

I'd like to tell you about a part of my family some of you don't know about. This is the family of Larry London. I met the family when I was 18. After many years of waiting for this moment, I found him. My birth father. I had all those questions of who did I look like? Who's eyes do I have, etc. I didn't take after my mother's side too much and never really knew where I got my good looks. (Ha!Ha!)

I had a mom & a dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and many other relatives that every kid has to guide them & love them. I couldn't have asked for more. These are the people that made me who I am and created memories that I cherish every day.

My mother gave me a name of a woman, Esther London, and said that she was my grandmother. I called her immediately and connected instantly. We agreed that we should meet and the rest of the family would like to meet me as well. Unfortunately, I found out that my birth father succumbed to a brain tumor in 1981. He never knew about me and I would never get a chance to meet him. This was a little disappointing, but I had a father that treated me as his own who could never be replaced. I wasn't looking for a father, just answers for curious questions.

Christmas time rolled around and it was time to meet my new family. In the back of my head, I hesitated because we had no real proof at this point that they were related to me & I to them. Overwhelming to say the least, I met everyone. I stayed for about a week and enjoyed every minute. This was my family and we all knew it. I caught people staring at me and telling me how unbelievable it was to see me. It was like looking at him all over again. According to most, I had many features of his as well as some mannerisms. I thought that was really cool. Answers weren't just what I found. I found so much more. Family.

Over the years past, I have had a chance to visit New York once and Florida 3 times to see the family. The visits are so few and far between, but some of us manage to keep in touch and I cherish that. I have become close to a few of my cousins and wish I could become closer to the rest of them. I didn't realize how much time had gotten away from us, but realized this during my trip. Not everyone was able to make it for the party, but I was able to reconnect and strengthen some bonds with those family members I met so long ago.

For those of you who don't know already, I was fortunate enough to take a 3 day trip to Florida in the beginning of June. I specifically went for my Grandma's 85th birthday party. I haven't seen her or the rest of my family in 9 years. My grandma was surprised to say the least since she didn't know I was coming, as well as her brother she hadn't seen in 10 years, and a grandson & great-grandson she last saw about 5 years ago. It was a wonderful time and it was definitely worth all of the rearranging of schedules to get there.

This visit was very special for me because I am now older and can appreciate it a little more. My family was as welcoming this time as they have been in the past. It's like old friends just picking up where they left off. I have included some photos from my trip. I hope you enjoy them.

I shared this with you because this website is designated for everyone to know MY family. They are definitely a part of my life and I wanted all of you to see who they are. I have accepted that I will never meet Larry London, but through his (my) family, I have the opportunity to see photos and hear the stories about him and what kind of person he was. Some people go a lifetime taking for granted the ones they love, but I have a chance to love the family I've always known as well as a whole other branch of the family tree. How lucky am I?

Without further adieu...




Larry (18 months)--I see a little of Anthony in this picture.



Larry, as a teenager.


London family photo: my grandma, aunts & uncles.
L to R: Molly, Phil, Grandma Esther, Jacqui, & Marc


My Grandma Esther & I


My Aunt Molly's family...(whom Molly is named after, obviously)
My cousins Kevin & Jason, Aunt Molly & Uncle Victor
(cousins not pictured: Valerie & Steven)


My cousin Jason & his family:
Tyler, Jason, Michell, & Kayla


Lana & Uncle Phil



My Aunt Jacqui & Mike
(my gracious hosts during my visit)


My Uncle Marc and his family:
(L to R) Their grandson Ryan, Aunt Donna, Eric (Ryan's father), Jen, John (Jen's fiance), and Uncle Marc


The London cousins & not one looks alike, in my opinion!
(5 cousins missing in photo)

Well, there you have it. A whole lot of people you won't know, but thought I'd share. Thanks for taking interest in my story. It's hard to keep up with, but I thought it was worth a shot.

No comments: