Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A GREAT DAY IN HISTORY

July 20th, what a great day! It's the day Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, my Aunt Val turned another year older, my Grandma Joan celebrated her 80th birthday and went skydiving...AND last, but not least...I turned 35! The reality of the gray hairs appearing and wrinkles that used to not be there, the "early bedtime", aching muscles and creeks when I get up in the morning, the absence of high heels because they hurt too much, and the few occasions I wear "big girl" makeup in public, has just sunk in all of a sudden as to how old I really am. I am bound & determined to keep my pants at waist level, my bra at chest level, style my hair with things other than just a comb, and not answer when someone calls me "Ma'am." My dreams of the younger days are only memories blurred with the present reality & the mere fact that I am older and closer to 40. Ugh! I was always one to tease others approaching the 40 year mark, but now I think I'll keep my opinions to myself! A slap of reality has just hit me. I still feel young & I know that I am not THAT old, but will vow to take better care of myself and not let another moment slip through the cracks.

On Saturday, after returning from a POISON concert (which was great & louder than I remember concerts to be--sign of aging), I pull into a dark driveway around midnight to find neon letters shining back at me from the headlights...



Thanks, mom!



There you have it ladies & gentlemen...the "mature, all grown-up" 35 year old.
Please note: I am squinting because of the sun, not bad eyesight! (smile)


I have obviously not accepted this coming of age too well, so please forward any future emails to the current nursing home that accepts my Medicare application. Ha! Ha!

1 comment:

The Mead's Larry, Teresa and Riley ***** Aggie, Baylee and now Zeek said...

Happy Birthday woman Sorry that I forgot I even saw you on your birthday. But then again just remember that all my days run together. You know that I love you my friend and it was great seeing you. talk to you soon. Teresa